View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 04:07 AM

mt_flyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing in Rome... Georgia

I was a student at Berry myself....waaaaay back when. Coincidentally, I just met another former Berry College student 2 days ago, and we were talking about all of the acreage that was owned by the college.

When I was there, I worked for a time in the college forestry department, during which we worked on the college's property - mostly forested woodland. As I recall, it was about 33,000 acres at the time, but may be less now.

I still have vivid memories of seeing some very nice looking "trouty" streams on, or en route, to some of the college's property north of the campus. It's been so long ago, that I can't be more specific, but if you check Berry's present (or perhaps former now) landholdings in the area, you could probably locate it. The other thing I remember about that specific area was there were also a number of rattlesnakes there, so many that our adult supervisor stayed in the truck, and he made us go into the woods to work.

John

P.S. I later transferred from Berry to complete my education at Penn State, and spent many afternoons fly fishing nearby when I probably should have been studying!