View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Graphite rod + lightning = !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutwhisperer View Post
That's kind of weird to me because just yesterday i was fly-fishing in a thunderstorm. you could see lightening and everything. Its scary to think about what can happen.

For a half an hour after the storm though i got into the rainbows. then they just stopped. I got to brake in my new two weight though with five rainbows.
Hi Troutwhisperer,

I can't emphasize enough how dangerous it is to be out in a thunder storm fly fishing. No fish or numbers of fish are more important than your life or health. Here are some actions you should take next time you get caught in a storm.

1. Get out of the water ASAP. Standing in the water with a fly rod in hand is extremly dangerous.

2. Lay your rod down flat on the ground and step away.

3. Kneel down and make your self as small as possible and stand on the balls of your feet.

4. If a car or truck is available get into it. This is your safest place. Sit away from the door and don't touch any metal in the car.

5. Do not get under any tree or high structures.

6. Next time leave the water before the storm starts.

I live in Florida and we have the highest incidence of lighting in the US. People are struck every year. If it doesn't kill you there are severe burns or other serious injury.

Frank