View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 05:58 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Help w/bluegill flies what to make

I got a bunch of nice Bluegills yesterday at a local pond here in MA.

They were top-feeding in the late afternoon and a light-bodied Elk Hair Tan Caddis, #18 was just right for them. I'm going to tie up some simple foam patterns, like fish4reds posted. When you start going to the smaller flies, it gets hard to work with deer hair and almost impossible to work with elk hair. Keeping a dry afloat also gets challenging as the fly get smaller; at least that's my experience - and I'm not shy about using floatant or about false casting several times to dry off the fly. Plus they're hard to see looking into the sun at 40-50'.

Before they started top-feeding, they were going for a red Copper John, #18, although I think that a green one might have been even more effective. I also picked off a Largemouth Bass the other day on a Copper John; same size.

So, small trout patterns will work for Bluegills; at least they do for me. I use a small, quick strip, followed by a pause (3-5 seconds), then strip and pause again, etc. Sort of like the way you play poppers under trees and near banks for Smallies.

Pocono