View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Alaska Penninsula Salmon

Hi tjc,

There are a bunch of Dog Salmon rivers in Alaska. I will assume that you are talking about the Dog Salmon river that feeds Ugashik river on the Alaska Peninsula. I have been down that way bear hunting and fishing but not the Dog Salmon River. If it is the Dog Salmon I am thinking about it doesn't get Kings or Silvers. I think most of the fish are Chum (Dog Salmon), Pinks and Dollies.

This is a remote area and I am assuming you are using a guide. If you are using a guide he will be your best source of information about what to bring. Chums Salmon may be the hardest fighting Salmon available. A ten pound Chum will give you a heck of a fight. Your 7wt will work but may be on the light side. I used an 8wt for all Salmon except King Salmon. I suspect that your guide will take you to different rivers in the area so you may run into some other Salmon. That is why your guide is the best place to get information.

If you are there at the right time I think you will be fishing for Chum Salmon. I don't know of any specific flies for Chum. The link that Larry gave you may be a very good source.