View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: 7 foot vs 10 foot bass fly rods

Hi bakerboy,

I fish from a pontoon boat a lot and I like a longer rod. For Trout I use a 9'6" 5wt and it works for me. Not because it will keep you from hitting the water on your fore or back cast. A proper stroke will keep the line off of the water, not the rod length. I like the longer rod for two reasons:

1. I can cast a longer distance with less effort.

2. A long rod makes it easier to mend and control your drift.

So don't buy a long rod to keep the line off of the water. Buy it because it is more versatile than a shorter rod. You need to be careful about buying a 10' rod. If there was ever a time that you need to cast a rod before you buy one, it would be with the 10' rods. The long rods I have cast are all over the place. Some have soft tips, some are too tip heavy, some are just right. My 9' 5wt is a wonderful rod. I have one 9'6" 8wt that the tip is too soft. They are the same model rods from Sage. So I would not buy a 10' rod with out trying it. A tip heavy rod is very tiring to cast for long periods.

Frank