View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 09:59 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 foot vs 10 foot bass fly rods

In the small weedy ponds that I fish, distance casting is rarely an issue.
What I need is a rod that can cast accurately into holes in the weeds, but also is long enough to be able to mend over the lilly pads that grab your line during a drift.
My compromise rod is a 8'9" 8wt IM6
I'm not saying that's the best length, but for me it's the one that works.

Earlier this year I built myself a 6'9" 9wt that I had planned on using for kayak fishing in the salt. In the past I've had trouble landing large fish on the 9' rod that I usually use, seated at water level
I thought the short stout rod would work better.
Unfortunately the recycled blank had an unseen crack, and the rod never made it out of back yard testing.
I still think it's the way to go and when I find a suitable blank, I'll try again.