View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: hello new to the forum.

Hi tinknocker1,

Sorry no one gave you an answer. If you want to throw big flies and a 1/0 is a big fly for Bass. Or, if you like bunny flies which are very good for Bass, then I would be using an 8wt. It will be too big for bluegills and such. If you are going to target good size Largemouth then I don't think an 8wt is over kill.

One of the reasons you didn't get an answer is the Cabela's combo. I don't think there are a lot of experienced fly fishers using that combo. The Heddon Pal that I know about is fiberglass. The 6wt Heddon Pal was one of the few fiberglass rods that had a tip action. I would assume the 7wt had the same tip action. If you are having trouble with your 7wt and if it is not casting issues I would get the 8wt.

If it was me I would get a hold of a Good graphite rod from one of the major manufacturers and see how it cast your big poppers.