View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: hello new to the forum.

Hi again tinknocker1,

I don't know how I missed it but I didn't realize you have been fly fishing for only a month. That has a big impact on my suggestions.

You need to make sure your problem is not your casting ability. If you have not taken a lesson, hired a guide, joined a club or got free lessons from a local fly shop, then lets start over. Your 4wt is not capable of casting the large flies you are wanting to cast. A 6wt is also too light for big Bass Flies. An experienced fly caster can do pretty good with a 6wt but I still think the 8wt is a better choice for you.

Forget Cabela's and find a local fly shop that will give you some casting lessons. One or two will get you started. A really good fly shop will give free fly casting lessons. I think you need some help with your casting.

Then you need to move up to a better rod. The Wind River Combo includes the rod, reel, backing and fly line for $99. That is too much for too little. A good fly line is very important and the line in the Combo has to be marginal. I urge you not to buy another of those Combos. Even if the rod is usable you need a better fly line.

Here is my advise.

1. Get a casting lesson some way, some how. Take your Heddon Pal to the lesson and see how well the instructor can cast it.

2. Save some money and move up to a higher priced Combo or buy individual items. Cabela's has some Combos that include a RIO or SA fly line.

3. Buy an 8wt and you will be equipped for many different fishing situations and fish. Don't buy this rod until you know for sure your casting is OK. Then try the rod before you buy it.

Frank