View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 06:23 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eager to Learn, New to Ohio

Hi there,

Welcome to the northern states and to the forum. Sounds like you had an exceptional experience in Alaska. That's on many a fly angler's bucket list so by all means consider yourself very lucky to have had the opportunity to get there!

Mad River Outfitters is in Columbus, I'd suggest getting to know those guys well. I've ordered tying materials and gear from them, they are a top notch shop. They are likely to have classes or seminars on the various types of fishing you might encounter in the area.

Right now, Steelhead and in some cases Salmon are the fish du jour on the Great Lakes tribs. It just depends on which ones you want to hit as to the best time of year. You can tangle with them in Ohio and also PA right now, though Ohio's runs are generally stronger over the winter and spring. Those would likely be the closest locations for you to tangle with anadromous fish.

There will be plenty of warm water fishing you can get into also. I went to college up the road from Columbus at BGSU and every March, the walleye run in the Maumee River was a real spectacle. That might be something else for you to think of doing while you're living in the northern states.

If you're looking for trout, I'm not so sure there are a lot of good options for you in Ohio, but I'm sure there are some streams to get into them. Lots of states around you have good trout fishing worthy of a road trip or two. PA, NY, KY, WV TN just to name a few.

Hopefully others will chime in with other options for you too.

Welcome and enjoy!