View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 01:31 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Give carp a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Now, since we are in the topic and since that I am seeing more carps in my home water; I'd be interested in actually trying to fish them. Any proven tips on how to catch them? I am planning to use the 6wt.
I've not targeted them very often and I'm pretty bad at them, but one that has nearly aways worked is tying up a purple deer hair mulberry pattern. Find a mulberry tree that overhangs the water and cast your "berry" there when the real fruit is dropping. "Match the hatch" sort of. Something about those berries makes carp about as dumb as a brick and only a fraction as wary as usual.

Other than that, I've tried for them when I spot them while smallie fishing and found that small streamers with black maribou fished slow and on or near the bottom seem to attract them. I also drop the fly in some distance away and bring it past them. They don't react well to things dropping right near them (except those "berries").