View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 10:30 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough
Default Rotated Guide on Shakespeare 1280T Fly Rod?

I've recently done a lot of study on wonderods, I just purchased my first one online. There is a ton of models to chose from and I mean a ton. From the reading I've done they also differ greatly in terms of desirability. Due to the weight of the rods, versions under 8 ft were regarded more usable. There are different tapers as well as rankings. Presidential and purist style seem to be more sought after.

1280T should be 7.9 feet, you have a shorter rod. Listed as a trout rod weighing 3.9 oz and produced from 51-59, that is an early one. They were first made in 1947. I think it says it's a wf8 but take a look at the link

http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.c...05/Shakespeare

Either way their can be some really good rods in here. They are vintage and can be had for cheap. There are a ton of color variations, some look really sharp to boot.

If you don't feel like messing with rehabbing the guide yourself take it to some one. My local shop does 20 a guide.

I think you should post a photo

On a side note I agree, learn casting on your newer rod, might be easier in the beginning. What was the new rod you purchased?