View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 07:28 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: "Bucket List" flies

John,

What a surprise ! Your mom had quite a story and I hope you didn't mind me telling some of it.

....and as to pictures of her flies your offering to take, I'd love to see them. Joe Brooks has a picture of a couple of the Sure Strike Specials in his book The Complete Book of Fly Fishing and he rated the fly as one of the top fish getters out here in the west. That's quite a compliment coming from a trout fisherman of Brook's stature in the history of the sport. Unfortunately the pictures in the book are in black and white. It would be cool to see them in color.

I'd bet my S.S. check your mom tied those very flies. If you'd like the book, I'll send it to you ....no charge?

When I moved to Denver over 40 years ago one of the very first places I visited was the Sure Strike shop up on Federal Blvd. It was January and it was snowing and I just couldn't wait to go fishing. I stopped in to find out what conditions were and get the latest "hot fly" information. We fly fishers are a crazed lot !

Thanks for signing up on the Board and taking the time to make a post. Any stories your willing to tell.....we're all ears.

calftail