View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 09:42 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: "Bucket List" flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Venerable choice! An eye please 'er for sure. Have you done a mixed feather wing yet?
I love the classics but have always been put off by the cost of materials so I never went there really. I totally understand the addictive nature of tying those flies though.
Its a popular misconception that those flies are expensive to tie. They CAN be expensive if you get shoulder deep in to it (i did), but starting out you can get all the materials you need including resaonable subs for the rare materials from a well stocked local fly shop (or online).

Take your Jock Scott, that was the first atlantic salmon fly i tied, and poorly (I wouldnt recommend it be your first). Its archived somewhere on this forum. But all the materials i picked up at regular prices - though, there are a lot of different elements go into that particular pattern.

Since i've gotten into classic atlantic salmon flies in the last two years, i've tied quite a few, often the same pattern over and over.
Of those i've tied, these are my two favorites, both of which are in the hands of collectors.

Green Highlander (Pryce-Tannatt version) THis one is a slight variant. Hook is 5/0
Click the image to open in full size.

Rosy Dawn (4/0 hook)
Click the image to open in full size.

Addicted To Vise