View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 01:36 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How important is looking the part?

I have a vintage issue of that shirt. My first was the 'There's No Nookie Like Chinookie' print. I got that at Tony's Salmon Shop at Pulaski NY back about 1993. I have a bunch of them, I'm particularly fond of the 'Fish Worship' print

Now that this thread is back on top the stack I'll add another slant on the subject. I've been doing this fly fishing thing long enough to believe I know something about gear. What I think I know is that it is really hard to 'be' a fly fisherman or woman, and not look like one. I gave up on wanting to be different when I got my hair cut in 1975. Prior to that I didn't want to look the part of what was known as the establishment. What I found out was that even though I no longer had shoulder length hair adorning my appearance, I was still me. Looking the part of a long haired carryover from the sixties really had no effect on who I was. it did however have an effect on how I was viewed by others.

So what the heck did I just say? What does that have to do with looking the part of a fly fisherman?

I could grow my hair long and tie it in a ponytail, I could fish while decked out in tie-dyed shirts and ragged jeans, would that change who I really am? Would it affect whether or not I caught any fish? Probably not but I may get wet without my Simms chest waders and jacket. Do I need a fancy rod and reel, not at all, there are people out there fishing with tackle much less flashy than mine who have forgotten more about catching fish than I may ever learn........ You are who you are and if you are a person who likes to have proper gear you probably look like one.

Looking the part matters I guess, it's up to the individual to determine how they want to look, but I do believe that it's hard to be a fly fisher and not look like one.

Click the image to open in full size.

Nancy snapped that with her phone at fish camp this past summer. I was sitting in the boat waiting for everyone to get loaded up. I think that it also should be considered that if you are a serious outdoorsman whether you climb Denali or camp for a week in the Copper River valley, if you don't have the right stuff it's gonna be a rough climb or week...............I have been fishing in the worst weather that could happen to me from Newfoundland to here in Alaska, I really need to look the part

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 11-10-2013 at 02:27 PM.