View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 09:17 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Beginner's nymph and questions

Congrats of the fish - now yu are really hooked.

I would agree with your observation that your nymph is a bit over dubbed. Looks like you the gape a bit which is going to make hook sets a bit difficult. Fish it anyhow, and fish it hard.

Beads are sometimes for weight, sometimes for sparkle, sometimes of color. Copper gold and silver are the most popular. I use a lot of glass beads because of the translucence and they don't sink as fast as metal beads. Then again, I fish mostly shallow places.

Purple is an effective fly color because fish can see it more easily at depth. Violet and ultra violet light penetrate more deeply into the water. If you go deep enough (far below fly fishing depths) red becomes a nearly invisible shade of medium grey.

If you tie, keep notes.... tie, fish, observe, take notes, modify, tie, fish, observe, take notes, read old notes, modify, tie, fish, observe, take notes, read old notes, repeat, lather and rinse.

As far a crazy colors, I tie a stone fly nymph with a mix of wool dubbing which is 2 parts purple, 1 part olive and 1/2 part dark red and 1/2 part brown. I dub it to form a mottled body. Looks a little weird, but it works.