View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 01:29 AM

mtbusman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tiny Creek Brookies

Just skimmed through all the posts. For me, the most important observation I read was, "if you can see the trout, the trout can see you."
or
"Avoid detection."

Many good suggestions as to how to do this have been offered.

I just want to add to some of the previous suggestions: if space permits, stand back from the creek and cast so your fly line lights on the grass at the edge, and only your leader and fly touch the water. As someone else already suggested, wait until you hear the sound of a rise or take, or watch the butt section of your leader for a twitch and then go into action.

I also like the idea someone offered of a downstream drift. You can present the fly before the line is seen. However, it's got to be a situation where you can stand far back enough, and cast far enough to avoid being seen by the trout. Or, if the creek has a bend to it, you might mask your presence that way.

Not all creeks are equal. Some allow us to walk up close and make a standard cast, others don't. The info about walking softly is important too. I often fish creeks going through cow pastures, and either the ground doesn't telegraph the vibrations, or, because of the cows, the fish get used to seismic activity and I can tromp along without effect. Not all places are that forgiving.