View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 01:17 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: good starter kit

Hi MnFlyFish,
Here's the reality. If you plan on making fly tying a life long hobby, buy your tools and materials separately. Most packaged kits on the market have inferior tools and materials. I'm sure that you don't want to keep spending money to replace tools and materials that you don't measure up to par. Do it right the first time around.

Since you are looking for recommendations on kits, here are some that are on the market.

Wapsi Starter's Kit can be found at some shops that stock Wapsi products. It has good materials and mediocre tools. I bought this for my young nephew for his birthday. It only set me back around $60.

Dyna-King makes a kit that has good tools (Dyna-King vise and Dr. Slick Tools) and mediocre materials. It will set you back $225. It cost more than the Wapsi setup, but the extra cost is in the tools.

MP

Edit: I let my nephew tie a few flies on my Regal. He hates his kit vise with a passion.