Thread: Indoor practice
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 03:19 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Indoor practice

My group moves our urban casting sessions indoor to a gym for the cold weather...not as big as a Colorado field house. I instruct, "make believe the basketball hoops are trees that you don't want to catch on your back cast". Of course, the gnarly metal structure is festooned with bits of colored yarn. Casting, even indoors, during the off season is a terrific way to keep refining your stroke and preserving casting muscle memory. Without fish to focus on, work on your loop formation, analyze any issues in your symmetry, timing, line hand motion, whatever. No, I do not use a brand new tropical flats line or even my working quiver of rods and reels...I have a rolling basket of perfectly descent 5-weight practice rods and reels loaded with well used lines and simplified leaders.