View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 10:48 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Does line price dictate quality?

I think in the hands of an average caster any fly line with a taper related to the conditions they are fishing and the flies they are using can make it work just fine. However, at a certain point that better made line such as airflo will give you some performance advantages IMO. And may also be more enjoyable to cast. In my mind if the line has lots of memory that hinders my ability to fish efficiently and enjoy the rod/line, I won't want it. The most important things to me are how well made the fly line material is, and the taper of the line in relation to wether I'm nymphing/streamer fishing (short front taper, long rear taper).

Or dry fly (long front taper, short rear) or standard WF. So people are obviously going to have different opinions on this matter, and the right answer regarding price/quality all depends on what works best for you. Me personally, I have had bad experiences with cheap fly lines, so now I stick with a company like airflo who makes polyurethane lines that last years and years. I wasn't as lucky as someone like hardyreels, the cheap lines I used broke down, cracked, or the coating just failed me eventually. So personally I think there is a correlation between fly line price and quality, but like everything else there exceptions to the rule and others who have a completely different experience.