View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: good starter kit

Hi Mnflyfish,

You are facing the same dilemma that new fly fishers face when buying a new fly rod. It is confusing and you can't buy a good cheap kit with all the tools and the good materials you need. You need to find a fly shop that has a vise set up and ask them to show you how to tie flies or join a class. A lot of schools have fly tying classes. So do some recreational departments. You need to get a feel of what fly tying is all about. If you like it then buy better tools to start with. Most beginners buy a cheap set to see what it is all about and they end up buying all new stuff in a short time.

I can highly recommend the Kaufmann Basic Beginner Kit. It gives you a book and materials to tie just the first nine flies in the book. You don't get a bunch of materials you don't need or that are poor quality. It doesn't provide any tools.

To get started you can get by with a bobbin, fly tying scissors and a vise. Feather-Craft sell some branded tools that will get you started. Give them a call and tell them you are a beginner. The same for Kaufmann.

The Orvis kit may be a good choice but I don't know anything about it. I bought the best Orvis vise that Orvis sold back in the seventies. It was not a good vise and I returned it with out even setting it up on my bench. That doesn't mean they have not improved over the years. The US has some really great vise makers and you don't need to buy a vise from Asia.

Frank

Streamborn Fly Tying Kits - Basic Beginning Kit
Designed and built by Randall Kaufmann for first-time tyers, this kit has every material for the first nine flies in Randall's book, Fly Tying for Beginners. Includes Tiemco hooks and the book.

Note: you can tie more than 9 flies with the materials provided. They will just be the same 9 flies. The book is oriented on how to tie flies and the procedures, not how to tie a bunch of flies.

Frank