View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 07:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: small rod choice for big flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank60 View Post
Hello All

My name is Frank and i am new to this forum, where i live (Denmark) i dont have alot of trout streams, but i have a god time with my fly fishing fro yellow perch with my 4 weigth 8 fod rod, but now i want a shorter rod for this fishing, a 7 foot i think, it should handle small poppers and streamers to size 6. i was thinking of the Ovis acces 7 foot 4 # but i dont now the rod, are there anyone here WHO know this rod? or have other rods in that length that can handle these flies. I hope somone can help me with that Little problem.

Regards to you all

Frank
First welcome to the Zoo.

But to your question. Fly rods (line weight) are self limiting as to what kind/size fly they can realistically handle. "... i think, it should handle small poppers and streamers to size 6." I strongly think you'll not find a 4wt (regardless of manufacturer) will handle these types of flies.

Far more knowledgeable folks will correct the following: With a 4wt you're looking at flies from perhaps an unweighted size 8 and down. Once you get to a size 10 then you can go to bead heads. One probable exception to this are flies where they incorporate 'foam' in the construction.

These are light as can be and the only down side is 'wind resistance.' But 'size' will still be an 'issue.' It is what it is .......

Fred