View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Strains of Browns...Help!

Now I'm questioning my word on this, I'm looking at some old photos, I'll come back and edit in or post more in a while.

Ok, after some old pictures and a look at some reference material "Trout" by Judith Stolz & Judith Schnell" (highly recommended) I will say that the top has all the looks of a Loch Leven trout but the bottom is of German ancestry. The spots are not always the final word on identification but a good place to start.

Generally the German fish will have a blood red adipose fin and much more yellow on the belly. The spots are more dense wiith many surrounded by a red halo.

All my brown trout photos are on slides but I have a few that are scanned. These are German from Spring Creek PA.

Click the image to open in full size.

Going with the 'spots' identification method, this one could go either way but perhaps a L. Leven.

Another German;

And another, as you see the spot pattern differs so greatly that it can be hard to call in some cases.

Funny, I hardly recognize the guy in the picture, Alaska aged me buddy.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 11-24-2013 at 07:07 PM.