View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: 7 foot vs 10 foot bass fly rods

I've got a rod very much like the one RipTide describes that I built up from a GL2 Popping Rod blank. It also likely needs a 9wt line (have to haul like hell with an 8wt to flex it much) but that gets a bit tricky. I commonly fish a longer 9wt and the reel my 9wt is loaded onto doesn't balance well AT ALL on that short rod.

I should probably just track down a cheap 10wt line, cut off 20' of running line, and stick it on an old 8wt STH reel I've got laying around.

RipTide, I think you'd like a Popping Rod blank for what you're after. They've got a soft tip intended to protect live bait during casting, but a stout butt since they're built for saltwater. Makes for a pretty fair short stout fly rod. You can also build it with sliding rings and spin guides and have a dual-use rod that shoots fly line like a mofo.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.