View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Overhead Rod position fighting trout

Its both good and bad.

I think fighting fish with side pressure is more effective at wearing them out and pulling them out of cover. But it also requires one to be seeing into the water at what obstructions are there in order to avoid pulling your line or fish into/onto/through them.

Holding the rod overhead in the "Orvis Pose" (Geez, I never find an image that illustrates my point this well)
Click the image to open in full size.
may not wear fish out as well, but its probably least likely to cause the line to rub/catch on boulders, sunken tree limbs, and other miscellaneous schmutz. I would guess that quite alot of fishing guides assume that their clients are better endowed with disposable income than fishing skill and experience and coach them accordingly. Pointing the rod tip skyward is probably the fighting technique least likely to add hassle or disappointment to their day.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.