View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 10:20 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Step Further.. What if we stocked Bugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I was going to say something about how you can't "stock" eco-system or water quality, but do remember reading about how some Pennsylvania streams (or was it W.Virgina ?) have had their PH adjusted with the addition of lime.

Acidic waters are pretty common due to mining, acid rain, or just local geology and I'd bet if you did a PH test on you're local tailwater you'd find this may be the case.

I'd say that there's a better than even chance that this is a matter of the water quality being less than ideal for insect life.
Exactly! The problem is underlying fertility of the watershed.

The reason the tailwater fisheries and spring creeks have fantastic fisheries is that the water is alkaline and has a relatively high calcium and mineral content that is necessary to support aquatic insects. The insects then support the fishery.

Trying to "plant" insects is akin to the parable of the Sower in Luke 8:6 "Other seed fell on rocky soil, and as soon as it grew up, it withered away, because it had no moisture."

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy