Thread: Abel or Hatch
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 09:57 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Abel or Hatch

I too will go +3 on Islander; along with Abel, Tibor and a few others, a true classic and robust, cork disc, draw-bar reel.

I will also expand on spool release mechanisms: This feature usually involves some assembly of little springs, levers, buttons or "O" rings...the kind of little parts that are prone to eventual failure. No serious mid to big game fly reel incorporates these unreliable designs. Yes, a few include an easy spool removal method; Hatch, Nautilus NV and Hardy Fortuna employ a captive, threaded, knurled cap that can neither pop off, loose a spring or ozone degrade an "O" ring. But it is rare for an angler pursuing bonefish, Atlantic salmon or tarpon to change spools. Have other rods rigged with different lines on them? Sure. Each rod I fish has a reel dedicated to it that balances its weight and performance characteristics and is mounted with the line optimal for that rod. Yes, many of my trout reels have quick spool release features...and I wish they didn't.