Thread: Abel or Hatch
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 09:56 AM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Abel or Hatch

I can't speak about Hatch; I've never used one or even held one. I have been in and out of Abels twice. I'm currently on the out cycle, except for a Spey and extra spool for it. The "Nut" issue is real. I have lost the nut on two different reels and thank goodness I was with a guide both times so he could provide a backup reel for me. The biggest problem I have is the price. Do I really need to pay that much for a line storage device on a trout reel? And, on larger reels, how much difference is there really in the drag system? While I don't want to lose the fish of a lifetime to a balky drag, I also believe that I'm far more likely to lose it to my incompetence rather than a faulty piece of equipment.

And, I do change spools frequently. I use most silk lines for trout fishing and even with drying them frequently, I've yet to find one that will continue to float after six or seven hours of constant use, so I've always got a plastic line on a spool to swap out the soggy warrior late in the day.