View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 10:40 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default How small is too small for a Wooly Bugger?

The recent Wooly Bugger thread was interesting and it got me thinking: how small can you make a Wooly Bugger and still have it be effective? I tie my own version of a bugger with simply a piece of marabou for the tail and then continue wrapping the marabou to the eye for the body. Sometimes I use a bead head and other times only lead wire to help it sink.

I was tying some of those up for tomorrow when I plan to go out and there were some bits and pieces of marabou feathers laying around that were too small but yet I could not get myself to throw them away. Then I thought about making some really small buggers. I made a baby one up on a size 18 hook. It is really small but it looks sort of neat. I was wondering if something like this would be worthwhile to tie? And, if so, would it work on really cold days like tomorrow when it might get up to 29 degrees (F)?

Trout are slugs on really cold days but they still have to eat. Will they even bother to chase a bugger this small? Or is it better to make them a little bigger to make it worth their while?

Still learning!

Thanks,
ray