View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 09:44 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: How far "should" I cast?

Todd, I've been fly fishing for about 48 years, and I'm not a great long distance caster. I can get a fly out 85-90 ft sometimes, even without double hauling, but those casts are few & far between.

IMO, for 99% of freshwater fly fishing, accuracy & line control are far more important than distance. Most freshwater fishing will be within 50 ft, and much will be in the 30-40ft range or less. There will be situations where longer casts are needed, but usually those can be minimized by finding a better casting position.

Again, this all comes down to accuracy & line control. If you're primarily fishing in waters with current, both of these become even more important. On stillwaters not as critical.

If you can accurately cast in the 60 to 75ft range, then IMO that's a good distance range with any weight rod. If you get into salt or some of the big freshwater situations, then certainly being able to cast beyond 75 ft would be advantageous for those few situations where it becomes necessary.

Learn the double haul, and practice it. But again, learn to be accurate with it, and understand that no extra distance will overcome a lack of line control.

By line control, I mean both while casting & while on the water. If you lose control of the line, you lose control of the fly, so a 75 ft cast that you have no control over the fly is nothing more than casting practice!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!