View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 10:58 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: How far "should" I cast?

Quote:
Much beyond that point (moving water) you may have to do a lot of mending in the early part of the cast.
Fred, good point! That's why I said accurate casting is more important. I know from my own experience when I was learning, I would get too much line out on the water, and no amount of mending would correct poor accuracy. Mending is a technique of line control, but if a cast is so far off the mark to begin with, the current usually takes the line & fly so far off target before the angler can respond that it becomes a futile effort.

BTW, my idea of accurate casting at any distance is within 4" to 6" of a target consistently.

Funny, but back in Sept. I had a situation casting to a moving Redfish on a grass flat where I was making 75 to 80' casts with an 8 wt. The fly landed all around the fish, but I couldn't seem to get it in front of it. Had I been able to move closer it would not have been an issue, but the tide had started to fall & that fish was moving fairly quickly towards deeper water. I lost the opportunity to hook up with that fish simply because I could not make an accurate cast in front of that fish at that distance.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!