View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: How far "should" I cast?

Since the majority of the fly fishing me and my tribe do is sub-surface, our casts are fairly short and usually limited to less than 40' (this allows for better line control and mending). We generally use 10' rods in the 4wt. - 6wt. range for most of our fishing and rod wt. is determined by the size of the river, wind and sometimes the size of the intended target...

Click the image to open in full size.

My son Michael is working the soft water, on the other side of the white water, in the above photo, on the East Walker River. with a 10', 5wt. Loomis Streamdance. Dependening on the flows, we position ourselves to the side, directly below or directly above, an area to be targeted or to sighted fish . Most of the fish we catch are less than 20' away...

Even when using dries and emergers we KEEP our casts short...positioning is everything...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/