View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 10:20 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: How far "should" I cast?

Whenever I am out on the water and decide to cast really far, I find the trees behind me are much closer than I thought they were. Then when I finally do get a nice long cast out there the current puts a giant belly in my line and yanks my fly up off the bottom. I don't catch many fish this way. It is nice to have a lot of line out to strip a streamer upstream or in still water. I'm still usually relatively close to where the fish actually are. They can be feeding really close if I am stealthy. I'm not so stealthy trying to cast 90 feet.

I've never measured how far I can cast. I have cast all my fly line out on my 9wt. That was in great conditions in my yard. I usually cast plenty far enough to catch fish though.

I have one tip for ya'...never ever expect a single definitive answer to a question on this forum!