View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 05:55 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newby casting dilema

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
Jaybo, Does practice casting in grass harm your fly line?
I believe it certainly can and prolonged use may contribute to premature wear. I think some of this may depend on where you're casting and what's laying around. To be safe, this is why I recycle old fly line and put it on a cheapie/old or extra reel. Practice casting anywhere without worrying about it damaging my good line.

By all means, make sure there's an old leader on it with a piece of yarn tied to the end of it.

Don't get me wrong, if I get new line and want to know what it feels like on a rod before I get to the stream, I'll go into the yard and cast it a bit but I have a separate reel spooled with old line for practice casting. Other's experiences/opinions may differ, but this has worked well for me.