View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 10:24 AM

dkim73 is on a distinguished road
Default St Croix Avid vs Ultra - Worth the $100 Premium?

Hi Everyone,I am new to this board and new to fly fishing. I hope to be using this site more as I get into the art of fly fishing. I wanted to ask a question about St Croix rods and if the $100 premuim is worth it between the Avid vs Ultra. I have fished my whole life, but this is my first try into flyfishing. This would be my very first rod and I would like to get a nice rod the first time so I don't have to upgrade later. I am planning on buying a 4pc / 5wt / Avid or Ultra / 8.5 ft. The ultra is about $100 more and is it worth it? I read somewhere to concentrate money on the rod and fishing line as the most important things. If it is worth it then I would spend the extra money on a better rod and buy a lessor reel.Also: I went to Orvis recently, WOW! expensive!, Would the Avid be similiar to a TLS and the Ultra to the T3?Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks again.DavidAlso - I live in the DC metro area and would fish the local places here and in West VA and PA and maybe some backpacking trips out west for trout.