Thread: River question
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: River question

Hi Hoser41,

Larry has given you the key to the Kingdom. Find a good fly shop and spend some time and money there. Tell them you are a beginner. Buy things even if it is only a couple of bucks each time you visit. If you catch fish take the pictures by. Learn the owner's name and make him a friend. He may give you some free casting lessons. Ask him to show you how to tye a fly if he has a vise set up behind the counter. Try to find non-busy times to visit. Buy some maps and ask him to point out some areas to fish. Make sure you ask if he has been catching any fish. Listen carefully because he may reveal where he was fishing. Don't expect to get his secret spots. If he mentioned he caught a beauty on so-and -so river go home and study your maps. Many rivers have limited access and you can locate areas to fish. The further you walk from parking the better your successes.

Don't forget to visit the Fish and Game Department and ask for a Fish Biologist. Tell him you are new to fly fishing and could he suggest some places to catch Trout. Then ask what do the trout feed on in that area. A F&G Biologist can be a heck of a resource.

These are all things I have done at one time or another. The first time I went to the Town of Green River, Wyoming to fish the Green River, my first stop was the Fish and Game in town. The lady at the counter gave me maps and all kinds of things to read about the area. Then she called the F&G guy to help us out. He took our maps and marked access and places we should try. His information was dead on and we had some good fishing in a new river that became my favorite river in the lower 48. Our next stop was the local fly shop. We asked about what flies we need. He said we only needed a green Stimulator and showed us a couple. We asked what we needed to tye up some of the flies. We bought what we needed and before we left he asked to see our map. He proceeded to make some other spots to try. Wyoming has some really friendly people.

Frank