View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: What is best rod for small mouth bass

I would say both a 6wt and a 7wt have their merits for Smallmouth fishing. A 7wt will work better at throwing the larger flies that entice the bigger fish, and will do better at horsing them out of cover, but a 6wt will be easier to cast all day and make the average fish more fun.

I would look at rods that are medium fast and powerful, but not super fast because you'll often need to make a 20-30' cast. I would look at Legend Ultra's, GL3's, and similar blanks. A RPL 690 seems pretty perfect.

If you want a perfect light smallmouth rod, see if you can snag an old RPLXi 5wt in blank or rod form. They built those rods with a fighting butt. You could fish it with a 6wt or with a 5wt and add 3-6' of T-8 to it to make it a sink tip.

Another light rod with a fighting butt was some of Loomis' Streamdance Metolius rods. They made a 6wt with a short butt that had a rev half wells grip, and they might have done some 5wts that way as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.