View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 02:33 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Joan Wulff Fly Casting Video by Winston

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbine
I'm very, very happy with my own style but am very interested in how other people cast and the mechanics of it, etc. It's cool to me.
That's all that counts, Turbine. If you're happy with it, then it must be comfortable for your physiology as well as working for you. Joan Wulff did not cast the way her videos show on brooks etc with light rods when she used to come down here for permit, tarpon and bones.

She adjusted her style to the conditions. A woman with national distance titles against all male competition knows how to get a line out there.

I use a casting style described by George Roberts, Jr. in an article for Loop Magazine, I think, reprinted from one of his books. I've been casting that way for as long as I can remember and not only didn't even know I was doing it, but didn't think it made any sense at all after reading the article, and thought it was an editing error in the re-print.

If I get a chance this winter, I'll make up another LED setup which lights up when line is released and shuts off when it's clamped. Then take a magic marker to a fly line so shooting line will show up on video. Basically, it's shooting line on both forward and back casts, and actually shooting line backwards while in the transitional move forward for the forward cast, clamping just prior to rotation in the forward cast. Same thing on the backcast.

I don't think it's something that can be taught, frankly, but I think its something a lot of impatient guys who fish the salt a lot just kind of slide into over time and don't realize they are doing - like I didn't.

You ought to make a video, too, Turbine and stick it up here. I like seeing different casting styles as well.

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 AM ----------

Silver,

I think there is considerable confusion over what exactly is "leading with the elbow". Most people think of it as the "woodchopping" motion shown on all the videos on learning to fly cast.

I am a little confused myself. I don't see how it is even possible to cast without leading with the elbow, at least in the initial stages of the cast.