View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 01:20 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Joan Wulff Fly Casting Video by Winston

I'm going to reply to myself here - nothing new since I talk to myself all the time.

I've re-read that portion of Al's article once again. He's talking about "elbow in" and "elbow out'. I don't know where I got the "leading elbow" thing. And he talks about all the casters, including Steve Rajeff and Joan Wulff using the elbow in style along with the the "elbow out" preferred by Dan Blanton and Bruce Richards.

Here is a still from the Rajeff distance competition video.

Click the image to open in full size.

And here is one from Joan's very last cast in her video sponsored by Winston. A hint of a smile of satisfaction begins to form on her face at the very end as she watches the loop forming.

Click the image to open in full size.

So Turbine, you have to remember that the videos and instruction methods most commonly quoted and viewed are for beginners. You are not a beginner as evidenced by the fact that you have developed at least one "style" of casting. And you will likely develop many more - though the differences between "styles" and "techniques" are blurred in my mind.

The "style" of Blanton and Richards as described in the article sounds like, I think, one that I used to use a lot for tuck casts when dropping a dry repeatedly just out of reach of a trout sitting in a lie. It is a good way to execute a tuck with a "pullback" and set just the fly down, without any leader or line, on the water long enough to be noticed, then pop it back into the air with no water disturbance. I would do it repeatedly (rod held way high) to aggravate a lethargic trout. Sometimes it even worked - enough that I used it often. It is also very easy to have a collision with your tip, so the rod tip must be dropped again quickly after the pullback then raised again once it is safe to.

If I am interpreting Al's description correctly, I would describe that cast not so much as rotisery motion around the elbow as a rapid 90 degree rotation of the elbow upwards, with the center of rotation being near the middle of the forearm. If that's wrong then what I'm describing is just another technique or style of casting.

The question is, does the same teaching technique or style or method or progression of teaching apply to every newby to fly fishing. I think not, rather, that it is up to the instructor to identify which particular initial style to work on with his "student" based on observations of the "students" existing "natural" inclinations. The basic essentials do not change, but the methods of getting there and the words used to describe how to do it do.

Merry Christmas/Holidays and happy casting to all.

Last edited by wjc; 12-19-2013 at 01:43 PM.