Thread: Alberta
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 12:53 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Alberta

Since there hasn't been anything posted recently I thought I would give an update with no specific small waters mentioned.
Alberta is experiencing a drought this year, maybe the worst in a few decades.
For many of the smaller lakes this is not a good thing, already low levels and high water temperatures are just exacerbated by our recent weather.
Alberta has been no stranger to water loss over the last decade or two and in many cases you will find launching ramps high and dry, many feet back from any nearby water.
Southwestern Alberta is probably one of the better known areas and since it depends largely on snowpack the rivers and streams are doing alright but of course they probably have more pressure on them than most of the northern waters do together when it comes to fly fishing.
Recently a magazine article, naming small rivers and streams and giving directions was written by a person from the south and published in a popular Canadian fly fishing magazine. Because many of the places mentioned are very very small with limited water and fish it did arouse some negative feelings but so far it has not effected the water use any more than is normal.
As the season progresses the fishing is still okay in most places, there is rain today and scheduled for a few days so we are hoping all will be well.
The Bow is fishing as it usually fishes and remains a very popular fishing area. There are moves by the Regional District to let building developers build large complexes on the river banks, displaying a lack of understanding/caring for the value of the river in dollars and cents as well as what is in my opinion a flagrant disregard for the environment.
Recently we were out after Pike on Lake Wabamun and scored a few, nothing too large. I hope to get down to the south again to try some trout fishing before too long.