View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 09:23 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default How do you know if a line is too heavy for a rod?

Okay, so I actually have two questions from today. I obtained an off-brand Korean rod in September for $25 on eBay (plus $8 shipping). I got it so my son could have his own rod when we go out, since he had a lot of fun this summer. He is sort of a clod and was hitting my Orvis Clearwater 5wt on every tree, bush, rock, THING that he passed. So I decided he can use this cheapie until and unless he really gets into this sport. Plus he only likes going to the local lake for bluegill, so he doesn't need any great rod. Plus this rod is only 7.5 feet long, so he may hit less things as he walks along.

I still need a cheap reel for the rod but I figured I could get away with using the 5wt I normally use. I only brought that one rod and I was having a horrible time casting today. I was using all the same flies I normally use and I couldn't get any of them to cast nicely. When I brought the rod to the fly shop I frequent, they said it feels like the rod would load best with a 4wt line--even though it is marked like it may need a 6wt.

Could the reason I was having so much trouble casting be because the line is too heavy? I can see that a rod won't load enough with line that was not heavy enough but what happens when it is too heavy?

I can tell you this: it was like my line would go straight up into the air them fall straight down into a pile. I know my casting skills sort of su...su...su...stink, but not THAT bad. And even when I am having a really bad day, I seem to be able to cast alright whenever I relax and just do it instead of thinking too much and forcing things. Not so today.

ray