View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: What is best rod for small mouth bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
I purchased one or Sage's 7'11" Smallmouth rods last summer, fished it a couple of times, but didn't really care that much for it (in general, I'm a Sage rod fan).

I traded it this Spring for a 9'0" TCX 7 wt., and I really like it. I kept the line that came with the Smallmouth rod and put it on a Bauer Rogue reel. It fishes very well for Smallmouths on one of our local lakes and on the Susquehanna River as well. No problems getting a lot of distance out of that rod; which I find to be a plus when you all of a sudden see a lot of Smallie action on the other side of the river. It also has plenty of backbone for throwing larger flies; something that BigCliff points out in his post.

I feel that the 9'0" 7 wt. gives me more flexibility than the Smallmouth rod gave me. On the other hand, if I was going to be entering any Smallie tournaments, then the Smallmouth rod would definitely be the way to go. It's a very nice rod; but I prefer the TCX for all around fishability.

I have a friend who owns one of the local fly shops and he uses a 9'0" Z-Axis 7 wt. for Smallies. That man can fish!
I'm fairly sure that if you're using the Smallmouth line on that TCX, you're basically overlining it by two.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.