View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 07:00 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is best rod for small mouth bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I'm fairly sure that if you're using the Smallmouth line on that TCX, you're basically overlining it by two.
You're right, it is overlined with the line that comes with the Smallmouth rod.

When I first purchased the Smallmouth rod last year, I remarked on the weight of the line to the shop owner. We broke out one of the line measuring devices, coiled up 30' of it and put it on the scale. I'm not convinced of the accuracy of these scales, but it was all that we had at the time. The weight was just slightly north of an 8 wt. line.

So, it's overlined, by what I would call "1+" weight. But, if you've cast the 7 wt. TCX, then you know that it's a stiff rod that can handle overlining without any problem. For me it is a real improvement over the TCR, which I thought had little, if any, feel to it; just plain stiff, like a broomstick.

I also overline my GLoomis Max GLX 6 wt. with WF7F line (recommended to me by George Anderson at Yellowstone Anglers) and it really tames that rod for me when it comes to top water fishing. For a sink tip, I use a 200 grain line and it works very well on that rod.

As an experiment, I underlined that Max GLX a couple of weeks ago with WF5F line when I was throwing buggers into a shallow plunge pool on one of the small streams up here (Mud Run) and was surprised by how well it put the line out there. I was expecting alot of line collapses with the lighter line and the heavy fly, but I didn't get them. I did need to delay my casting tempo somewhat to get the right loading on the rod with the lighter line and I needed abrupt stops at the end of each casting stroke. But, I was surprised at how well that rod worked with the lighter line.