View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 12:07 AM

monello will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What Keeps You From Going to Alaska to Fish?

I did the RV rental a few years ago. Had a great time but the fishing wasn't the best. Saw the most incredible scenery.

I did research and headed back the next year but later in the season. I caught pinks till my arms were sore. Managed a few silvers also.

Then I got bold and planned a road trip. I took 4 weeks to drive up from Maryland. Spent 2 1/2 months. Split time between Ninilchik and Soldotna. I fished a lot of the lakes in addition to the river. Filled the freezer with fish. I even smoked and canned fish while I was there.

I followed that up with 1 more full summer in Seward. The next year I went to Ketchikan for 2 1/2 months. Not the best fishing there from shore but I got to experience a different part of Alaska.

So now I haven't been back for a few years. Alaska keeps calling to me. I put off going because of gas prices and the desire to see different places. I'd rather drive so I can have more of my gear. I may end up just doing the RV rental for 2 weeks again sometime soon.

Someone said about not having the proper gear. I'd fly fish for pinks in Resurrection creek in Seward. I'd just use a 5wt, 2/0 hook & some yarn. I'd have a blast with the pinks. Every so often I'd catch a chrome silver. Talk about fun. It would take me forever to land that fish. First I'd just let them run in the current for a while. I'd gain line when I could. Keeping just enough pressure on to let the fish know I was there.