View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 07:11 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: a couple basic nymphs for trout.

Nice ties!!!! Those flies all look great. You can always tie nymphs on dry fly hooks and nymphs on dry fly hooks. Thats what I do all the time. It does feel wrong at times and I do have to see my physciatrist because of deep feelings of guilt, but it works. LOL. Seriously, nowwhere is it written down that a fly tier has to do such a thing such a way. Flies such as the Clouser Deep Minnow weren't invented by fly tiers doing everything just like everybody else. Think about it. If everyone sat down and tied a dry fly with hackle 3/4 of the hook shank, wings as long as the hook shank, a tail the proper length, a body dubbed in the perfect taper, ect. Would you have that Elk Hair Caddis, Stimulator, Chernobyl Ant, Daves Hopper, or Neversink Caddis in your box know. No. Flies are constantly changing, improving, and incorporating new materials and tieing techniques. So feel free to use those size 16 hooks in the nymphs. Wow. I just sat back and read this.How did I get all this out of that. Anyways, Try something new at the vise tonight, it might just change your life. LOL