Thread: In-air mends
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 09:59 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: In-air mends

These guys speak the truth! Cast a little further up stream of the quarry, but not too far, because you will just struggle more. Reach cast with a small sharp flick of the rod tip just as the leader and some line touches the water, but before all the line lands. As the line comes back to you, raise your rod to lift line off the water except for the last few feet. Less line on the water means less force needed to mend. Then throw a big gentle mend. Try not to move the indicator, or fly, when you do this as a fish may be watching your bug. Sometimes if the bug moves funny, it's all over.
I try to get my mends in at the beginning of the drift, and move it as little as possible during my drift. I then extend the drift to create more "shopping time".

"A good drift with the wrong fly, is better than a poor drift with the right fly".