View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 11:42 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the NW E/SE of Portland this year

Hear you Les.

First, our fishing regulations can be a bit confusing as to the when/where/for what. Read page xyz that refers you back to abc. That can be a pain where one sits.

Oregon fishing Reg's are broken down by 'Zones,' seven if memory serves, plus another set for Ocean and the Columbia River. There are 'general regulations' and then specific ones for a given river, timing, fish you can chase, etc.

But where you are there are two good things going for you: 1) the Fish and Game folks are wonderful to talk to/with. Straight shooters all and will get you sorted. 2) 'Flyfishusa' (web site and a 'sticks and bricks' major fly shoppe in Welches, Oregon. If you need 'stuff' this is THE place to go for 'stuff' and information on who/what/where/when.

If you want a guided trip, Mark Backman (SP?/owner) or one of his fellows is where you want to go. Misspelling of Mark's last name is a huge embarrassment as I've known him for years. Google the "Sandy River Spey 'Clave at "Oxbow" on the Sandy River. You DO want to go there! Hundreds of like minded 2hander nut cases.

As to where to fish you have a heck of a lot of choices within a two hour drive of your front door. Umpqua to the south, coastal stream to the west, the Deschutes (summer runs) to the east, etc.

Anyway, if you get the 'urge' to drive to southern Oregon let me know. I'll tell you what 'rock to stand on' just can't guarantee fishie will be there at that point in time. But I'll be pretty darned close on that one.

fae