View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 01:12 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: rods, reels and lines for smallies and such

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist_palm View Post
im gonna be that guy...

i fish river smallies on my 5wt and never really wanted heavier

i always felt that my 8wt was better suited for putting the brakes on salmon not a 2 # bass

i really only throw streamers at bass in the summer months and have felt comfortable throwing all but the heaviest ones in my box

not trying to disagree with everyone else, its just what i do
I dont completely disagree, but do vary a bit. Most of my bass fishing (smallie, largemouth, river, lake, pond) is done with my 6wt. I even do quite a bit of carping with my 6. Most of the flies I am throwing for those are size and smaller - aka nothing that big.

I do have a big fish/big fly mentality though so when I am going for pike, I am throwing some big and chunky flies that will make my 6wt waffle if I am trying to cast. Don't get me wrong, the 6 could turn most of the pike around that I hook up with but I am much happier throwing the bigger flies on the 8.

With that, I agree that the best all around rod for the species the OP will encounter would be the 8