View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 01:48 AM

rbaileydav is a name known to allrbaileydav is a name known to allrbaileydav is a name known to allrbaileydav is a name known to allrbaileydav is a name known to allrbaileydav is a name known to all
Default Re: Fuzzy Flip Flops

Click the image to open in full size.

We actually caught a lot of fish. But I could tell we didn’t catch as many as my son thought we should catch. Part of his comparison was how good he knew this river “could and should” be and part of it was watching Bernard in the other boat just rake in fish with seemingly every cast. Rick finally broke the silence and volunteered “Dad I know you taught me to fish and for years I thought you were the best fly fisherman ever … … but … … you have got to slow your cast down, set the fly down on the water softer, and let it drift out of the strike zone before you pick up and do a better job of mending if you want to catch the really big fish.” I watched him to see if he truly caught the irony of those statements but soon realized that he was only doing his job trying to help a client catch more fish like he does 200 days a year. I felt a momentary blip of annoyance, but that was soon replaced with a pride in my son, he had become a not only a fly fishing guide for real but in fact a really good fly fishing guide and that was something I could respect as both a fisherman and as a dad. I was proud of my son and happy and in my soul to top it all off I had experienced a fishing trip for the ages … … one I will remember for many, many years to come. Thanks Bernard for your company and friendship and thanks Rick for hanging out with your old man, I can’t tell you how much that meant to me.

I will end with few pictures of fish a real fisherman can catch in Thermop with long distance multiple current cross mends and flies so small I can’t even tie them on. And yes I hate Bernard for his talent too.

I will add that life does provide all of the strangest and most interesting “flip flops” … … fuzzy irreverent and strange “flip flops” … … parents become the protected and children become adults… … so in closing I salute the fuzzy “flip flops” of life.

p.s. If this isn’t the quintessential Wyoming fishing guide I don’t know what is.