View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 12:28 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: The forgotten colour!

I remember a time when a purple plastic worm was the recommended lure for bass. Same with yellow poppers. I tried them both as a youngster, thinking that because they were recommended so highly in the popular sport magazines I read, they had to be magic!

Shops sell what moves, which is usually the hot item at the time. That changes with time. For fly patterns & colors it doesn't mean that older isn't used or productive, it simply means that they get replaced with the newest rage. Financial restraints & shop space dictate what a shop carries.

I don't tie with anything in that color spectrum very much. The range from blends of red & purple, from Claret, Wine, or Burgundy. But like the purple plastic worm & yellow poppers, I still have some materials in those colors.

There have been times in the past for me that a Woolly Bugger with Wine or Burgundy colored chenille & black tail & hackle was killer. IMO, it produced simply because it was something different. Not the usual colors that fish saw. Perhaps they took the flies out of curiosity, not recognizing the colors, but the movement of a bugger being familiar. I'm speculating, or guessing!

I have an old pattern book that mentions a few wet flies that used claret, wine or burgundy colored materials. At the time I got that book, many years ago I didn't even know what color claret actually was. I had some idea about the other two, which reminded me of those purple plastic worms.

Wonderful thread folks! Makes me want to dig out that old pattern book, find my materials of the various colors mentioned & tie a few flies!

As I get older, reminders of my younger days sometimes inspire me to do something nostalgic! Thank you!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!