View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: small mouth flies for murky river?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Second. I try to match the fly color to the water clarity.
In clear water I like bright colors like white, chartreuse, and silver.
In murky water, I like to fish more earth-toned and subdued colors. Brown, yellow, orange, gold...that sort of thing
IMO it makes a difference
Once again, RipTide and I manage to have a different take. In clearer water, I fish streamers that are grey or tan, thinking that the fly needs to look more natural since the fish can see better. In stained water I'll throw white, chartreuse, or black, thinking that a more muted color will be too camoflauged in the murky water and not get as much attention from the fish.

I can't say for sure which one of us is more right. However, I can say that if we were both to use the other's strategy that we had less confidence in for a day, we'd likely catch less fish.

Different strokes for different folks, but always throw what you're most confident in if you want to catch the most fish.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.